Odonate researchers and enthusiasts generously share free online educational content and foster social connections globally. Here at WDA, we want to share these resources to all site visitors in one convenient location. Check out these prominent Odonatology web resources and join one of many Facebook groups to connect with odonate photographers, educators and hobbyists around the world.
Citizen Science Resources
Observado.org. A website to register your sightings of dragonflies in the world
OdonataCentral, by John C. Abbott. A site containing information about the distribution, biogeography and biodiversity of Odonata of the Western Hemisphere, especially North America
iNaturalist, an international biodiversity project created as a joint initiative of the California Academy of Sciences and National Geographic Society. Users can register for free and contribute sightings by smartphone app or desktop computer.
Facebook Odonate Groups and Pages
- Dragonflies & Damselflies- Worldwide Odonata
- World of Dragonflies
- Odonata Larvae and Exuviae
- Worldwide Dragonfly Association
- Odonata of Asia
- Dragonflies and Damselflies of Kerala (Odonata) കേരളത്തിലെ നാട്ടുതുമ്പികൾ
- Dragonflies and Damselflies of Malaysia
- Dragonflies and Damselflies of India
- DragonflySouthAsia group
- Odonata of India
- Odonates of Western Ghats
- Dragonflies of Singapore
- Dragonflies and Damselflies of Bhutan – Eastern Himalayas
- Dragonflies & Damselflies of West Bengal
- 日本のトンボ (Odonata of Japan)
Central and South America
- Libélulas de los Andes Colombianos
- Libelulas Migratorias
- Dragonflies and Damselflies of the Neotropics
- Ważki (Odonata) w Polsce
- Vážky Slovenska (Odonata)
- UK Dragonflies & Damselflies
- British Dragonflies and Damselflies
- Migrant Dragonflies
- Odonates de France et d’ailleurs
- Fotografía Odonatos Península Ibérica, Baleares y Canarias
- Libellule d’Italia
- NVL Libellenstudie
- Manitoba Dragonflies and Damselflies (Odonata)
- Midwest Odonata
- Dragonflies and damselflies of North East
- Texas Dragons and Damsels
- Western Odonata
- Odonata of the Eastern United States
- Southeastern Odes
- Minnesota Dragonfly Society
- Arizona – Damselflies & Dragonflies
- Odonata Ohio
- Northeast Odonata
- Odonata Florida
Other Odonate Societies
- British Dragonfly Society (BDS)
- Dragonfly Society of the Americas (DSA)
- Dutch Dragonfly Association / Nederlandse Vereniging voor Libellenstudie (NVL; in Dutch)
- Hokkaido Odonatological Society (in Japanese)
- Kansai Research Group of Odonatology (KRGO; in Japanese)
- Society of German-language Odonatologists / Gesellschaft deutschsprachiger Odonatologen (GdO; in German)
Photography, Blogs & Education
Dragonfly Biodiversity. Extensive image collection, comprehensive lists of global, continental and state-level odonates, and more. Brought to you by the Slater Museum of Natural History, University of Puget Sound, USA. Site maintained by Dennis Paulson.
Günter Bechly’s Odonatology website. A site with lots of information and pictures; it also provides links to other sites that contain information on both fossil and recent Odonata.
International Dragonfly Fund (IDF). International society promoting dragonfly protection and research.
International Odonata Research Institute, by Bill Mauffray (iodonata at bellsouth.net). The site offers a portal to species list and images from all over the world; email contacts from around the world, available books and supplies, and lots more.
Odonatological Bibliography. A bibliography of odonate references from 1990 to 2005. Compiled by Günter Bechly.
ARKive is the ultimate multimedia guide to the world’s endangered species. Explore and search for videos, photos and facts about the world’s endangered biodiversity, including odonata species.
Dragonflypix is a site dedicated to pictures of European and Australian dragonflies.
Digital Dragonfly Project. Online high-resolution digital dragonfly photo repository hosted by Texas A&M AgriLife Research.
Asia and Oceania
Odonata of India. Submit observations of odonates in India, browse species records and learn more about the ~503 odonate species in India. Created and managed by a team of volunteers as a collaboration between institutions, groups and individuals.
Odonata of Japan. Site featuring odonates of Japan.
Western Australia Dragonflies. Odonates of western Australia created by Jan Taylor featuring distribution maps and photography.
Dragonflies & Damselflies of Thailand. A photographic guide to odonates of Thailand by Dennis Farrell.
Dragonflies of Finland. Species lists, photographs and books compiled by Sami Karjalainen.
Odonata of the Eastern Mediterranean. Checklists, photos, articles and discussion boards covering odonates of the Near-East, Northeastern-Africa and Southeastern Europe by Marcel Wasscher [marcelhilair at hetnet.nl].
Italian Dragonflies. Species lists, photographs and books compiled by Elisa Riservato and Sönke Hardersen.
Dutch Dragonflies. Videos, photos, species checklists and more by René Manger.
Odonata of Russia. Russian blog about odonates by Daniel Osipov.
European Odonata. A database maintained by Robert Geerts for European Odonates.
BugGuide is an extensive image repository and identification aid for North American insects, including Odonata.
The Dragonflies of British Columbia. Odonate section of the electronic atlas of wildlife of British Columbia by RA Cannings & GGE Scudder.
Dragonfly and Damselfly Guide by ON Nature magazine based out of Ontario, Canada.
Dragonflies of Alaska is a site featuring the odonates of Alaska, USA by Mary Hopson.
California Dragonflies and Damselflies features books, checklists and other odonates resources by Kathy Biggs.
Digital Atlas of Idaho. Online photography and lists for Idaho, USA odonates by Digital Atlas program.
Michigan Odonata Survey. A blog detailing Michigan Odonate Society happenings, checklists and photography by University of Michigan, USA.
Dragonflies & Damselflies of Missouri. As a part of Missouri’s Natural Heritage Program, this online resource gives biological information and species lists of odonates in Missouri, USA by Taili Zhuang.
Ohio Odonata Survey. Find information about Ohio, USA Odonata sponsored by Marietta College and the Ohio Odonata Society.
Dragonflies of Jalisco, Mexico a resource for photographs, checklists and Spanish language content of Mexico’s odonates by Kathy Biggs.